Happy December beautiful people! I’ve only got a couple of posts left to write for the year and I’ll be using them to look back at how it all went down. In today’s post I’m sharing 8 things I loved about 2018. And in the next one, I’ll be sharing 18 reflections.
As the year comes to a close, I really wanted to take time to highlight the things that I enjoyed and that went well in 2018. Because I really believe in celebrating all the special moments (big or small), but it’s something I don’t do enough of. So today is dedicated solely to the goodness that existed in this year. Here are 10 things I loved during 2018.
- Going with the flow: Change was a major theme for me in 2017 and it continued on through most of this year as well. Transitions are not my favorite thing in life, but going through several back to back has really helped me get more comfortable with change and with things not going quite according to plan. Each transition has also taught me to a little trust more in myself and a lot more in God. The reality is that change is the one constant in life so it’s something I’ll continue grappling with in 2019 too.
- Redefining self-care: Between running a business, working at my other job, and managing all the other pieces of a busy lifestyle, my approach to self-care shifted. It became simpler and more radical at the same time. Simpler in that I focused a lot less on the “luxuries”. Radical in that it became a daily priority to do things to take care of myself – reading, exercise, and EFT meditations are now non-negotiable parts of my routine almost every day.
- Traveling to new places: It’s no secret that I love traveling. But I wasn’t expecting to do much of it this year. Thanks to some unexpected opportunities though (tagging along on my husband’s work trip, an awesome Groupon deal, and having family to visit within a drivable distance), I ended up visiting Florida, the Dominican Republic, and spending several long weekends in Richmond. These were all places I’d never been before and it was so much fun soaking them in for the first time. Getting out of and away from my usual routine was also a much needed and refreshing break.
- Reinvesting in friendship and sisterhood: One thing that was really important to me this year was finding meaningful and manageable ways to cultivate my friendships. As life gets busier, I’m realizing more and more how important having a solid community is. I definitely don’t have time to “hang out” the same way I used to, but I’ve been trying to use more creative options for staying connected with friends. Getting in more phone calls, going on walks, attending workshops, and the occasional coffee or dinner date were all things I did with friends this year.
- Settling in: I talked about change a bit earlier and one of the biggest transitions I had in 2017 was moving in together with my husband. As the craziness of life continued at full-speed, one of my greatest comforts this year was continuing to slowly settle in with each other and creating a “home” out of our shared space.
- Launching the podcast: This is probably the accomplishment that I’m most proud of in 2018. After years of talking about it and months of planning, we launched and shared our first few episodes! It’s been quite the roller coaster getting to this point, but so worth it!
- Becoming certified as an EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) Practitioner: I fell in love with EFT/tapping the first time I tried it back in 2015. It’s been a life-changing tool for me personally so taking my final exam in January and getting certified to teach and practice it with my clients was a really exciting start to the year!
- Hosting my first workshops: This was another big step for me in 2018. If there’s one thing we could all use more of in life, it’s the space to process and reflect on it. And it’s been an honor holding that space for people to do so. God-willing, I’m looking forward to hosting many more in the coming years!
Looking back, it’s been a pretty eventful year. There were definitely challenges and so many tough days, but I didn’t realize how much progress I was making along the way too.
That’s the thing with big moments – they’re often hiding in the mundane of everyday life. We only notice them if we’re paying attention.
So what were YOUR big moments in 2018? Please share in a comment below or an email! I’d love to cheer you on!
Peace and blessings,
P.S. – Are you feeling stuck, overwhelmed, or uninspired by your life? Is there a challenge you’re facing or goal you’d like to work towards? If you’re ready to take a bold, true leap in your life, I can help you. Click here to schedule a FREE discovery session with me.