In last week’s post, I shared how having a sick day reminded me that self-care isn’t just a good idea… it’s a necessity! Even though I resisted it, taking that day off to rest was exactly what I’d needed to get well again.
Today, I want to keep talking about self-care, but a slightly different form of it. The preventative kind rather than the curative.
If you’re on social media, there’s a good chance that you’ve seen yet another type of self-care on your feed. A curated, picture-perfect, and glamorized version of it. While it is nice to get that pampering treatment sometimes, it’s not exactly what I’m referring to in this post either.
That’s because the true nature of self-care isn’t quite so glamorous. It’s more like an act of maintenance. One that we all need.
Taking time to check in and care for the parts of ourselves that need tending to is the only way we can keep going every day.
The self-care that this post is dedicated to is the kind that we can all use to recharge before we run completely out of battery. It’s found within simple actions that we can repeat daily, weekly, or however often we feel necessary. These actions aren’t meant to be grand, time-consuming, or expensive ones. Rather, they’re meant for slowing down and finding moments of peace, joy, and comfort throughout the day.
In honor of this particular type of self-care, I’m sharing 15 straightforward and budget-friendly ways to show up for and nurture yourself.
- Cook a healthy and wholesome meal for yourself. This is the literal fuel that you’re giving to your body.
- Get a full night’s sleep. Maybe even squeeze in a nap when you can. If you don’t have the luxury of getting a full night’s rest or napping, I highly recommend trying out yoga nidra. This is a wonderfully easy way to catch up on much needed rest in a short amount of time.
- Drink water. Pay attention to your intake throughout the day and make sure you’re getting enough.
- Unplug. Make some time in your day where you’re not connected to an electronic device. Enjoy that freedom whether it’s for 5 minutes or 5 hours.
- Free write or journal. This is SO helpful for clearing a cluttered mind.
- Meditation, deep breathing, or EFT. All three of these options are great for stress relief and getting re-centered in the middle of a crazy day or season of life.
- Take a bath. Water always seems to bring relaxation right along with it.
- Enjoy a hot cup of tea… or maybe coffee if that’s your thing 🙂
- Spend time in nature. Connecting with the Earth has a magical way of reconnecting you with yourself.
- Read a book you’re excited about. There’s nothing quite like a good page-turner.
- Exercise. Dance, run, do some yoga, or whatever form of movement feels good. Jumpstart those endorphins while you take care of your body.
- Get Creative. Make something. Write a story or a poem. Doodle, draw, paint, or color. Whatever form of creativity feels best for you – go do it!
- Use a dry brush. This is an easy way to exfoliate your whole body and release toxins… it feels pretty awesome too.
- Aromatherapy. Light candles or use a diffuser and some essential oils. Enjoy the lovely scents as they waft throughout your space and clean the air around you.
- Laugh. And then laugh some more. Children laugh up to 300 times a day, but somewhere along the way to adulthood this number decreases dramatically. On average, adults laugh about 4 times a day. I don’t think that’s enough. Make it a point to pay attention to the world around you and see how many funny moments you can stumble upon in a day.
Now, I’d love to hear from YOU.
What’s your favorite act of self-care? Are you excited to try or revisit any of the ones listed above?
Let me know in the comments or shoot me an email!
Peace and blessings,
P.S. – Are you feeling stuck, overwhelmed, or uninspired by your life? Is there a challenge you’re facing or goal you’d like to work towards? If you’re ready to take a bold, true leap in your life, I can help you. Click here to schedule a FREE discovery session with me.